got tulip crew aka gtc

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Place where the members of the got tulip crew can talk about wheelin trips, fabrication, etc.

5 posters

It's quiet here, so here's a new post

Robbie
    Robbie
    Knower of All

It's quiet here, so here's a new post Empty It's quiet here, so here's a new post

Post by Robbie Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:27 am

Parts are starting to roll in for the rebuild of the TJ.

Axles are on the trailer, going to start grinding off all the junk and getting everything rebuild the 2nd week of August uniess I get bogged down into the first install on the Jeep, which is outlined here.

With no explanation necessary, the gas tank has to go. So I just got done ordering all the parts necessary to do this install. It will be just like this for now, unless I get the wild hair to plate in the bottom of the frame and sink it right from the beginning. My thoughts are to leave it above the tub for now and worry about sinking it when I know how much clearance I will have after the axle is in.

NOT SUNK
    It's quiet here, so here's a new post DSCN4704

SUNK
    It's quiet here, so here's a new post 061209_140301

Dana 60 front Ford high pinion and Dana 70HD rear sitting on the trailer. 5.13 gears, Detroit locker front.

It's quiet here, so here's a new post Axles

I have a METRIC FUCKTON of grinding to do ...

Wheels are ready to start getting build up too. I have a source for good stiffeners and the rest to get 'em in shape.
    Anvil Recovery
    Anvil Recovery

It's quiet here, so here's a new post Empty Re: It's quiet here, so here's a new post

Post by Anvil Recovery Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:14 pm

Looking Good RObbie! Whats the plans on the suspension???

JOSH
    Tulip
    Tulip
    Admin

It's quiet here, so here's a new post Empty Re: It's quiet here, so here's a new post

Post by Tulip Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:40 pm

Go take those things to Russ's shop and use his plasma to cut the majority of the stuff off and you will have minimal grinding to do. Also, borrow someone's big "Dammit" grinder and it will make the grinding easy.
    Robbie
    Robbie
    Knower of All

Post by Robbie Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:10 pm

Well, was thinking that the shit was too thick to plasma. I've had a lot of time behind one, and this shit is way too big me thinks. It's all cast, and it's all huge.

I gots the big ass grinder. Not as big as the one Jon had back in the day, but big enough to make a lot of damage.

Josh, Suspension plans:
    4 link front and rear (trying not to 3 link the front)
    Sway Away coilovers in front, TJ springs and shocks in back
    Single ended full hydro steering most likely, assist is back burner
    Keep it as low as possible, 110" wheelbase at least
    Keeping it full 73" WMS rear and 78" WMS front, Humvee wheels
    Will build as much of the components as possible on my own
    42" minimum tire size, 44" more likely with that big-assed D70HD rear.

I'm really looking forward to this. My D44 rear with Superior shafts has held up great under all circumstances, but the D30 front won't live no matter how hard I try to help it.

Just noticed, for some reason this forum cut off half the front axle, might have to see if I can fix the picture so it can all be seen.
    Robbie
    Robbie
    Knower of All

Post by Robbie Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:14 pm

I also just noticed ALL my pictures are cut off. You can't see how that tank works. it uses the factory TJ pump, so it's super simple.
    Anvil Recovery
    Anvil Recovery

Post by Anvil Recovery Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:00 pm

Very cool RObbie!!! Yeah you will have to resize the pics, happened to me too on some of my pics.

Let me know if you need any products. I have great deals on QA1 joints, Hiems and Johnny style...

Yeah Id like to see a better pic of the sending unit on top of the tank. I installed a GenRight in one a couple months ago for a guy and it was slick...

JOSH
    Anvil Recovery
    Anvil Recovery

Post by Anvil Recovery Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:02 pm

Your 110 wheel base will be great with 42s as long as it is low. I run 42s and am at 105-106 and every once in a while I wish I was just a little longer. Mostly I would like to be about 110 when im on a ledge climb.

JOSH
    White Lightening
    White Lightening

Post by White Lightening Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:04 pm

That is sweet Robbie, can't wait to see the end result
    Tulip
    Tulip
    Admin

Post by Tulip Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:27 am

Josh when has that ever stopped you from giving it more gas to make it up the ledge. When you don't have the wheelbase, GAS IT!!!!!!!!
    Anvil Recovery
    Anvil Recovery

Post by Anvil Recovery Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:11 am

Thats my moto! If its not long enough, just HIT it harder!!!

Razz

JOSH
    Robbie
    Robbie
    Knower of All

Post by Robbie Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:17 am

I didn't work on it at all this weekend. I did work on it some during the week. I need to fashion some straps for the fuel cell, but other than that I'm ready to go on the install.

I've picked up some Humvee wheels, and trying to get some H2 wheels (have a line on a set right now). If I decide to use the Humvee wheels, I'll stick some crap tires on the H2 wheels for rollers. I only paid $150 a set for each of them, so no big money.

I'm going to need a ton of 7/8" heims for control arms... but I'm also thinking I might cut up my RE control arms and use them as the base for my arms.
    Tulip
    Tulip
    Admin

Post by Tulip Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:00 am

As in use them as a guide to build new ones, or cut them up and weld too them? Aren't they chromo? If so, you are going to have to tig weld them to retain their strength properties. Also, if you weld regular DOM to it, you will only be as strong as the weakest link, meaning your regular DOM.
    Robbie
    Robbie
    Knower of All

Post by Robbie Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:02 am

Tulip wrote:As in use them as a guide to build new ones, or cut them up and weld too them? Aren't they chromo? If so, you are going to have to tig weld them to retain their strength properties. Also, if you weld regular DOM to it, you will only be as strong as the weakest link, meaning your regular DOM.

Cut them up and weld to them. And all the rest is understood.

I know others that have cut them up, MIG welded them, and not had issues. But, that said I'm going to try to sell them first to help pay for heims.
    Anvil Recovery
    Anvil Recovery

Post by Anvil Recovery Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:49 am

Robbie hitme up on the Hiems and Jams and Rod end bungs when time comes. Ill set you up good...

Also on the HMMWV wheels if your deal falls through I have a good source for those too. A buddy of mine has 30 to 40 of them in my shop I would like him to get rid of. Some have tires already and some are bare wheel.

On the fuel cell hold down I tood some aluminum strap about 3.5 inches wide and press broke it to fit like from the floor up and over to the other side holding it down. I punched 2 inch holes and dimpled them to make it go FAST!!! hahaha

JOSH
    Tulip
    Tulip
    Admin

Post by Tulip Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:20 am

Robbie wrote:
    Tulip wrote:As in use them as a guide to build new ones, or cut them up and weld too them? Aren't they chromo? If so, you are going to have to tig weld them to retain their strength properties. Also, if you weld regular DOM to it, you will only be as strong as the weakest link, meaning your regular DOM.

Cut them up and weld to them. And all the rest is understood.

I know others that have cut them up, MIG welded them, and not had issues. But, that said I'm going to try to sell them first to help pay for heims.

Selling them is the best way to go in my opinion, not that it matters much to you.

I honestly think that cutting them and welding them is a really bad move Robbie. Regardless whether no issues have been had, you lose all the strength properties that made the arms tough to begin with if you weld them with a MIG. Nevermind the fact that you are going to have to drill holes, sleeve it and weld in the rosettes. Just seems like a lot of work to save a buck, and it is not as strong. Hate like hell to see you do all that work and then they fail on you.
    Tulip
    Tulip
    Admin

Post by Tulip Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:21 am

Josh the last thing you need is something to make you go faster. You and your lead foot. Very Happy
    pinkracecar
    pinkracecar

Post by pinkracecar Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:19 am

Chris, the short arms (baby) are not chromo. If strength after welding on them was an issue, my junk would have flown apart a long time ago.
    Tulip
    Tulip
    Admin

Post by Tulip Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:11 am

Answers that question then doesn't it. Very Happy
    Robbie
    Robbie
    Knower of All

Post by Robbie Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:21 am

Anvil Recovery wrote:
    Also on the HMMWV wheels if your deal falls through I have a good source for those too. A buddy of mine has 30 to 40 of them in my shop I would like him to get rid of. Some have tires already and some are bare wheel.

On the fuel cell hold down I tood some aluminum strap about 3.5 inches wide and press broke it to fit like from the floor up and over to the other side holding it down. I punched 2 inch holes and dimpled them to make it go FAST!!! hahaha

JOSH

I have the Humvee wheels, the H2 wheels fell through.

Make me some of that strap and ship it to me. Send me some rubber to protect the cell too. Smile
    Anvil Recovery
    Anvil Recovery

Post by Anvil Recovery Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:19 pm

Robbie wrote:
    Anvil Recovery wrote:

JOSH

I have the Humvee wheels, the H2 wheels fell through.

Make me some of that strap and ship it to me. Send me some rubber to protect the cell too. Smile

I need a good measurement of the tank!!! i will be in Dallas next weekend...

JOSH
    pinkracecar
    pinkracecar

Post by pinkracecar Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:20 am

I'm gonna send you a pic for my avatar......
    Anvil Recovery
    Anvil Recovery

Post by Anvil Recovery Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:55 am

pinkracecar wrote:I'm gonna send you a pic for my avatar......

HAHAHA I like the avitar!!!

JOSH
    Robbie
    Robbie
    Knower of All

Post by Robbie Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:09 am

Missed you Josh. Hope you all had fun in Moab.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 10:01 pm