got tulip crew aka gtc

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Place where the members of the got tulip crew can talk about wheelin trips, fabrication, etc.

4 posters

Service Wheel Bearings on your trailer

Tulip
    Tulip
    Admin

Service Wheel Bearings on your trailer Empty Service Wheel Bearings on your trailer

Post by Tulip Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:24 am

Since many of you on this board are going to Moab, this is probably a good time to start thinking about repacking the wheel bearings on your trailer. You don't want to get halfway to Moab and burn up a wheel bearing on your trailer and be on the side of the road in the middle of no where stranded. Also a trailer hub rebuild kit is fairly cheap from Southwest Wheel here in Dallas. Hell take it a step further, buy a spare hub, dress it out with new bearings and seals so it is ready to just in case one goes bad.

Here is a link to a video on how to service your wheel bearings on your trailer.

http://www.etrailer.com/tv-repack_trailer_hub_bearings.aspx

As always if you have better links for this topic, feel free to post them up.
    PuckerFactor
    PuckerFactor

Service Wheel Bearings on your trailer Empty Re: Service Wheel Bearings on your trailer

Post by PuckerFactor Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:12 am

I took your advice and started checking my bearings and brakes last night. The brakes on the Bloomer suck. Well, I found out why. So far on the left side, one brake magnet was defective and the arm that rotates to activate the shoes was stuck and would not budge.
    The right side has a short in the wiring on one brake and I have yet to take it apart.

Another thing that I have never ran into is the hub is pressed on. The inside bearing is pressed on the spindle with the hub. It took me a while to figure that out. I didn't have any type of puller to remove it and it would not come loose by pulling on the hub. So I put the wheel back on and that gave the leverage to pull it off.
    I'll finish the right side tonight. Hope I don't have any more issues.

Anyway, great idea to check the bearing and brakes. I just hope I don't have more tire issues. I blew out one going to and one leaving Clayon at Octoberfest.
    Tulip
    Tulip
    Admin

Service Wheel Bearings on your trailer Empty Re: Service Wheel Bearings on your trailer

Post by Tulip Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:51 pm

Charles great that you caught all this before we left for Moab. As far as spare tires go, I always carry 2 spares, especially since I have a triple axle trailer. Probably would be a good idea if you do the same. Having an extra spare, is good insurance.

Got my new axle for the trialer and got the spring perches welded on. I am need to pick up some steel and fix some of the cross bracing that I bent when I ran off a curb. Hoping to work on that this weekend.
    PuckerFactor
    PuckerFactor

Post by PuckerFactor Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:20 am

I finally got around to checking the right side. More problems. Who ever worked on the brakes last didn't know what the hell they were doing. Both magnets were put on backwards. Backwards doesn't work. I've adjusted everything now and seems to stop much better.
    Tulip
    Tulip
    Admin

Post by Tulip Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:51 pm

I haven't done crap on mine, but the plan is to work on it this weekend and have the axle and the rest of the hubs serviced. I also want to get started on putting a storage deck on the top of the tongue of the gooseneck; I am finalizing the measurements tonight. That way I can stop putting coolers etc on the deck of the trailer and put it up on the storage area. Gonna integrate tie downs and a removable railing so I can carry welders, coolers, etc. Need to extra space now, especially since I just bought a 100 gallon transfer tank that goes in the back of the truck.
    Anvil Recovery
    Anvil Recovery

Post by Anvil Recovery Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:43 pm

My trailer is officially done! I replaced one axle with a brake axle, replaced the bearings, races and seals. I replaced all tires with new trailer tires, I mounted a spare and locked it down so it wont get stolen again. I rewired the entire trailer with the big plug and enough lights to light up a Christmas tree!

JOSH
    Robbie
    Robbie
    Knower of All

Post by Robbie Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:20 am

I used 2 spares on my trip to New Mexico a couple of weeks ago. Granted, one of the failures was just a nail and could have been fixed with a plug, I didn't bring my plugs so I had to use the spare. 2 spares is NOT overkill.

Oh, and take plugs.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 4:19 am