got tulip crew aka gtc

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Place where the members of the got tulip crew can talk about wheelin trips, fabrication, etc.

4 posters

NOT water in my tank

Anvil Recovery
    Anvil Recovery

NOT water in my tank Empty NOT water in my tank

Post by Anvil Recovery Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:15 am

Well I have been dragging my feet and limping around every since the Moab trip. On the way to Moab coming up the last long grade when we were all showing our BIG STICKS hauling ass just after i passed everyone I lost power and the check engine light came on. The first assumption was that i probably had water in the tank. I figured it was condensation from the Peterbilt saddle tank I installed in the bed of the truck for extra capacity (140 gallons)

After draining the fuel filter drain it was confirmed that I had indeed have water in the fuel. I added 10 cans of fuel dryer, filled back up with fuel and everything was fine until i hit 3/4 of a tank on the gauge. It would start sputtering and dye. I called the Dallas Tech Hotline Laughing and Bobbie told me how to check my codes. It came up with a lean fuel code and I figured it was just still water in the fuel so I kept adding transmission fluid to the tank and fuel dryer and kept the tank above 3/4 all the way back to Arkansas. Yeah it was a bitch, and I have kept it above 3/4 tank every since.

Today i pulled the tank expecting to find more than half the tank full of water but it had NO water in the tank. In-fact the tank was ultra clean so I kept looking. After a close inspection of the in-tank fuel module I found at the bottom of the canister tons of metallic like grime.

You see the canister is submerged in the tank and fuel over flows into the canister when its full but when it gets to about 3/4 the level is below the cansister and fuel is syphoned from the bottom of the canister through a small grid that has a small screen covering it at the bottom. This is what was causing my problem...

Now in the 3 years I was at Huffines we never had a fuel pump like this go bad. Usually its the lift pumps that are mounted on the side of the filter housing that go bad. (KNOW WHAT I MEAN TULIP??? Twisted Evil ) The ones on the side of the filter housing fail in time because they are not cooled. Dodge decided to change the design locating the pumps in the tank so the fuel keeps the pump cool.

Im positive the metallic junk inside my module was not caused by anything less than my own doing by installing the aux. Peterbilt tank and having the trash from inside that tank syphon into my stock tank...

My solution was to first replace the fuel pump module and I will but I have decided to clean the trash the best I can from the module and save for an aftermarket pump and filter system. From what I have found the type of filter and pump assembly I want to go with is around 400 bucks and i really didn't want to replace the stock module and later replace it again with the aftermarket assembly I have been wanting, especially since I am trying to fry bigger fish right now and need to conserve as much money as possible...

I guess we will see if this gets me by for another couple months??? Hopefully until after the first of the year...

JOSH
    Anvil Recovery
    Anvil Recovery

NOT water in my tank Empty Re: NOT water in my tank

Post by Anvil Recovery Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:23 am

1st pic

NOT water in my tank Dsc_0721

JOSH
    Anvil Recovery
    Anvil Recovery

Post by Anvil Recovery Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:30 am

2nd pic

NOT water in my tank Dsc_0722

JOSH
    Anvil Recovery
    Anvil Recovery

Post by Anvil Recovery Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:38 am

3Rd

NOT water in my tank Dsc_0723

JOSH
    Anvil Recovery
    Anvil Recovery

Post by Anvil Recovery Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:48 am

4th

NOT water in my tank Dsc_0724

JOSH
    Tulip
    Tulip
    Admin

Post by Tulip Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:55 pm

Wow.

Yeah I definitely know about failed lifter pumps. That is why I carry a spare in my truck now and also have one in the shop at home.

So are you going to go with the aftermarket FASS pump after the first of the year?
    JeepMonkey
    JeepMonkey

Post by JeepMonkey Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:39 pm

fuck in line fuel pumps. and truck stops in the middle of nowhere.
    Robbie
    Robbie
    Knower of All

Post by Robbie Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:11 am

Josh, do you not remember me getting bent over on my 2003 due to the failed LIFT pump in the tank?

(wtf is a liftER pump anyway?)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:06 pm