got tulip crew aka gtc

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Place where the members of the got tulip crew can talk about wheelin trips, fabrication, etc.

+2
SHORTBUS
Tulip
6 posters

Upper Deck for my gooseneck trailer

Tulip
    Tulip
    Admin

Upper Deck for my gooseneck trailer Empty Upper Deck for my gooseneck trailer

Post by Tulip Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:37 pm

For a long time I have been looking for a way and/or a place to put more of the "stuff" that I haul in the back of the truck while towing the gooseneck. I never really moved on the idea until after the last time that I went wheeling. Some gear shifted in the back of the truck and pulled the pin on my break away box for my brakes resulting in all hell breaking (no pun intended) loose. Not knowing this, I essentially drug the trailer sideways all the time wondering why my truck was lugging down. After about 20ft, and a lot of smoke, I finally realized what happened and bent one of the axles on the trailer. The silver lining in the whole deal was that the hubs needed servicing and they were LONG overdue. Nevermind that I also found some bent bracing on the trailer that will be replaced as well. Back to the topic at hand. I started thinking about a logical place for extra storage on the trailer; my first thought, on top of the gooseneck. I had seen this done before from the factory at PJ Trailers, and I thought it was a great idea. My requirements were that it be big enough to haul a 4 wheeler if necessary, be lite, and have a railing around the top to help hold the gear in since it would be up in the wind. What I came up with was essentially a 78 x 85 platform with a 6 inch railing. The element of keeping it as lite as I possible but still be able to handle a decent amount of stuff was next on my plate. I chose to go with 1x3, .120 wall box tube for the main frame, and 1", .120 wall for the railing, and expanded metal for the floor. I will be adding some running lights, as well as, tie down points all the way around it. Oh, did I mention this was my first major project that I was doing by myself and I am a novice welder at best. By the way, thanks to Josh for the tips on the welding, it helped out a lot.

The basic frame

Upper Deck for my gooseneck trailer 1239669782223

The bracing and railing pieces are in

Upper Deck for my gooseneck trailer 1240076659181

Expanded metal for the floor

Upper Deck for my gooseneck trailer 1240091345806

A fresh coat of paint

Upper Deck for my gooseneck trailer 1240098617213

I still need to add 10 more tie downs and the mounts for the lights, other than that, it is done. Even though I cut a lot of weight out of it, this bitch is still heavy.

Let me know what you think.
    SHORTBUS
    SHORTBUS

Upper Deck for my gooseneck trailer Empty Re: Upper Deck for my gooseneck trailer

Post by SHORTBUS Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:26 pm

Looks great. The only difference between a ok welder and a great one is how often they have to use a grinder after they get done welding.
    Step 1: Bubble gum that shit up and then grind to something that looks ok.
    Step 2: Cover with at least 5 coast of paint and hope that people that admire your work can't weld any better that you. Laughing
    Tulip
    Tulip
    Admin

Upper Deck for my gooseneck trailer Empty Re: Upper Deck for my gooseneck trailer

Post by Tulip Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:03 am

Worked on the upper deck some more last night. I ran out of tie downs, so I had to go pick some up and I picked up some lights as well. I finally got to use my new plasma cutter and I made some mounts for the lights out of some sheetmetal I scored from Jeep Monkey. I got it all welded in last night and here are a few pics:

Upper Deck for my gooseneck trailer 1240454695733

Upper Deck for my gooseneck trailer 1240454673486

Next I will need do some finish grinding and give it a coat of paint. After I let that dry I will get some help to take it out to the trailer and then I will weld it on and weld in some supports for the front. Then this bitch will be done.
    White Lightening
    White Lightening

Post by White Lightening Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:49 pm

Very nice sir...make sure to post up some final pics
    Tulip
    Tulip
    Admin

Post by Tulip Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:16 am

As long as the weather cooperates, I should have it welded onto the trailer tomorrow morning. I will most likely have to brace it on the front corners, but that shouldn't be too hard. Then I will wire in the running lights and I should be done. I will take pics and post the final product as it sits on the trailer this weekend.
    Anvil Recovery
    Anvil Recovery

Post by Anvil Recovery Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:50 pm

Come on with the pictures!!! You slackin??? cheers

JOSH
    White Lightening
    White Lightening

Post by White Lightening Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:27 pm

PICS.....lazy ass
    Tulip
    Tulip
    Admin

Post by Tulip Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:40 pm

Okay, you fuckers I was going to take pics Monday but it was raining, and I completely forgot yesterday. Very Happy I still need to wire in the running lights, but that isn't going to happen before the Katemcy trip this weekend. I will take some today after I get home from work.
    Chip
    Chip

Post by Chip Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:06 am

Whats yor excuse now biatch?
    JeepMonkey
    JeepMonkey

Post by JeepMonkey Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:08 am

He's busy at work, which is the only one he has. Unless he breaks out I had to mow.
    Anvil Recovery
    Anvil Recovery

Post by Anvil Recovery Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:31 pm

Your basket should have been a little bigger cause I dont remember seeing the kitchen sink whey we were in Utah???

LOL, JOSH

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:51 pm